Our commitment to the environment and to high quality is unsurpassed. MOPAC recycles close to 8 million gallons of used vegetable oils per year for distribution into the fats and animal feed ingredient industries and the environmentally friendly bio-fuels market. We see our participation in the bio-fuels market throughout the world as an opportunity to further our commitment to reducing our carbon footprint. 100% of our incoming material is recycled into something else, making our whole purpose recycling! Our goal is to be 100% self-sustainable, and every day our environmental and sustainability team work hard to get closer to this goal. We are constantly identifying and addressing areas of our business which can be improved through sustainable practices like reducing waste, innovating processes, and awareness that each member of our team contributes to our self-sustainable vision.
MOPAC recycles close to 58 million pounds of used vegetable oils per year for distribution into the fats and animal feed ingredient industries and the environmentally friendly bio-fuels market. We see our participation in the bio-fuels market throughout the world as an opportunity to further our commitment to reducing our carbon footprint.We encourage all users of cooking oil to recycle their used cooking oil, grease, fats, and oils and by doing so, they will have participated in a world-wide focus on pollution control. Without proper recycling of FOG materials (Fats, Oil, and Grease), it’s possible to devastate local communities and environments- making MOPAC a necessary and integral part of the community.
We are committed to the health and welfare of the natural environment, preserving the ecosystem through pollution prevention, and to continually improve the ecological aspects of our company operations. By working together in this goal we can set the example for future generations.
To this end, MOPAC Rendering is committed to:
Preserve the environment through pollution prevention.
Continually improve the environmental aspects of the company.
Comply with all applicable environmental legislation and regulations and other environmental requirements to which we subscribe.
These commitments are supported by a structured management system that identifies the environmental impacts of the businesses; that sets and periodically reviews environmental objectives and targets to limit the impacts; and, that expects employees to promote these commitments.
Some of the Ecological Contributions MOPAC Makes Annually:
- We recycle over 50 million gallons of water within our rendering operations, the equivalent of annual water usage of over 200 family homes.
- We recover over 8,000 dekatherms of heat from the rendering facility annually, the equivalent of heating 300 family homes for an average winter.
- The facility also utilizes a high temperature condensate system that brings back steam condensate at a higher temperature, this system saves the facility from burning 327,704 gallons of oil.
- The facility also recovers a waste heat stream that is utilized to make hot water for processing plant, this system recovers 11.3 MMBTU’s (one million British Thermal Units) per hour and saves the facility from burning 460,579 gallons of fuel.
- Total energy: oil offset: 1,297,773 gallons of oil annually, 194,860 MCF (million cubic feet) of natural gas annually.
- The utilization of various waste heat sources at the facility is reducing our greenhouse gas emissions by 11,650 tons annually.
- The facility utilizes an extensive reconditioned water program, water that is utilized for non-contact cooling of various pieces of equipment is captured and utilized for various non-potable uses at the facility.
- The facility is recovering and utilizing 194,000 gallon of water each operating day utilizing this system.
- The facility utilizes treated wastewater in their operation in areas where non-potable water is acceptable. The facility is utilizing 84,000 gallons per operating day.
- Total water saving: 70,890,000 gallons annually.
- We recycle over 650,000,000 pounds of product annually; keeping this material from being land filled.
- We provide close to 3 million gallons annually to the bio-fuels market
MOPAC operates under a major Clean Air Act Permit. We scrub the air at our facilities 24/7 to ensure we treat all the air that passes through our facility by removing pollutants and utilizing odor control. This is done in such a way that our processes are designed to never reach an opacity level above 20% during an operational hour.
MOPAC operates a Water Permit as well. We treat the water our facility uses as well nearby plants. 100% of the water used in our process is treated and recycled and discharged into the Skippack Creek (as other nearby water municipalities do). We treat 1.2 million gallons a day, which, by the end of each year means we processed give or take 400 million gallons of water. We recycle roughly 8,736,000 bathtubs worth of water a year. That’s a lot of water!
To reducing our footprint when it comes to dependence on nonrenewable energy, MOPAC has utilized a process to also help us produce burnable energy. An anaerobic lagoon, which is a part of our wastewater facility. There is live bacteria present in the lagoon which degrade the contaminants in the water in the absence of oxygen and producing methane. We capture this methane and use it as a renewable resource to power the plant! Neat!
Along with the practices we currently use, MOPAC is constantly trying to improve our sustainability and reduce our footprint. Not for us, but for our customers, our team members, and the neighbors that live all around us. We have a whole team dedicated to a greener business and lifestyle. Come join us!